In the current issue of the West Virginia Law Review, law student Ryan Smith argues that public universities in West Virginia can comply with Title IX without eliminating men's sports like track and field. I think the fact that this approach strikes students as novel shows just how pervasive the assumption that Title IX is a mandate to do otherwise.
Citation: Ryan T. Smith, Bulls Eye: How Public Universities in West Virginia Can Creatively Comply With Title IX Without the Targeted Elimination of Men's Sports Teams, 110 W.Va. L. Rev. 1373 (2008).
An interdisciplinary resource for news, legal developments, commentary, and scholarship about Title IX, the federal statute prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded schools.
Bad investigations
The more I learn about the ins and outs of Title IX (and Title VI) investigations, the more pessimistic I become about the ability of these...
-
Three former employees of Feather River College (Quincy, California) pressed their Title IX retaliation claims at a two-week hearing before...
-
The NCAA has come out with a very clear position on sexual relationships between coaches and student-athletes. They are wrong. They are a ...
-
In one of the more curious things I have seen in regard to Title IX rule-making, the Department of Energy is attempting to issue a change t...