Nothing major to report. I haven't seen any coverage of the closing arguments yet but if something of note occurs, we'll post about it.
In reading some of the coverage that stemmed largely from Jeff Webb's testimony Tuesday about the legitimacy of cheerleading as a varsity sport, I came across a post from The Washington Post. In addition to incorporating the phrase "bring it on" the author also quotes Dr. Mary Jo Kane. director of the Tucker Center who put it nicely:
"How would people react if the school cut a men's sport like baseball or lacrosse and used those funds for a male cheerleading squad?"
I'm not usually one for the direct comparisons, but I think Dr. Kane's question makes people question certain paradigms that are in need of questioning.
An interdisciplinary resource for news, legal developments, commentary, and scholarship about Title IX, the federal statute prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded schools.
Bad investigations
The more I learn about the ins and outs of Title IX (and Title VI) investigations, the more pessimistic I become about the ability of these...
-
Three former employees of Feather River College (Quincy, California) pressed their Title IX retaliation claims at a two-week hearing before...
-
The NCAA has come out with a very clear position on sexual relationships between coaches and student-athletes. They are wrong. They are a ...
-
In one of the more curious things I have seen in regard to Title IX rule-making, the Department of Energy is attempting to issue a change t...