Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I stand corrected

Welch Suggs was nice enough to gently correct me regarding my concerns over the portrayal of the financial doings of the University of Tennessee athletic department. Or should I say athletic departments--plural. I was surprised--clearly--to learn that UT still keeps separate men's and women's athletic departments. (Suggs mentions it briefly on page 98 of A Place on the Team.)Thus it is theoretically possible that their student activity fee goes to the women's athletic department. But whether it is the whole thing or part or even if part goes to the men's department is unknown.
Of course, just because there are two athletic departments does not make the accounting practices any clearer. It could even make things more complicated.
If I, or my cohorts, find out more, I will update.