Fifteen members of the recently-terminated Delaware State equestrian team have filed suit in federal court, challenging the school's decision to cut their team as a violation of Title IX. The Women's Law Project and Flaster Greenburg, a Philadelphia-based law firm. The attorneys expect a hearing on their motion for preliminary injunction sometime next month.
DSU already faces a similar lawsuit, filed by an incoming student who had signed a letter of intent to join the team.
As I have mentioned before, this should be an easy victory for the equestrians. DSU does not satisfy the proportionality prong, so it cannot cut a viable women's team without violating the other two alternatives for compliance, which require either program expansion or satisfying the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex.
An interdisciplinary resource for news, legal developments, commentary, and scholarship about Title IX, the federal statute prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded schools.
Bad investigations
The more I learn about the ins and outs of Title IX (and Title VI) investigations, the more pessimistic I become about the ability of these...
-
Three former employees of Feather River College (Quincy, California) pressed their Title IX retaliation claims at a two-week hearing before...
-
The NCAA has come out with a very clear position on sexual relationships between coaches and student-athletes. They are wrong. They are a ...
-
In one of the more curious things I have seen in regard to Title IX rule-making, the Department of Energy is attempting to issue a change t...