Friday, November 07, 2008

(Somewhat) New anti-IX campaign

I'm in Denver at the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS) annual conference and I just ran into a colleague which reminded me that I had not yet posted about the interesting information she passed on to me a while ago. Fairness in Sports Foundation is not the most vocal of the anti-Title IX orgs out there, but they are a presence. (Side note: It will be interesting to see the approach the anti-Title IXers take with the new administration. I am sure we will be talking more about that in the coming months.)
I probably don't need to point out the irony in their use of the term "fairness" or that their board of directors is made up of five men (including former Olympians Peter Vidmar, karch Kiraly, and Tim Daggett) and one woman.
Of special interest is their new campaign: MOMSS: Moms on a Mission to Save Sports.
Check out the website (and note the use of the quote "well-behaved women seldom make history" frequently invoked by actual feminists or at least those with feminist leanings) and then check back here. When I get back from Denver I plan a more nuanced post on this campaign.